Aug 18, 2007

valerie's high school musical - the disco version.

courtesy of my dear Melissa. i like this one. feel free to play along, especially if you're younger than me. i enjoy feeling like an old bag o bones.

'sides, talking 'bout high school makes me feel less of a harlot. :o)

1. Who was your best friend? Lorri Lee - i didn't like her in junior high, liked her in high school, then we had a falling out in college. man i am a bee-yatch.

2. Did you play any sports?what, and sweat? fat girls do NOT like to sweat, thankyouverymuch.

3. What kind of car did you drive?car? what car? i had the bus.

4. It’s Friday night. Where were you? OK - let's see. if i wasn't at a football or basketball game, i was likely either at a Rainbow Girl function -OR - with my audio cassette recorder, illegally audio taping the Donny & Marie show. gad, but i am a geek.

5. Were you a party animal? no.

6. Were you considered a flirt?desperate. i wasn't subtle enough to be a flirt. and i wanted a boyfriend sooooo badly - it was killing me.

7. Were you in the band, orchestra or choir? choir. from kindergarten till my senior year. not that i had a voice, but i like to sing.

8. Were you a nerd? worse. i was an invisible. y'know: not cool but not a nerd/geek, either. sometimes, a fine place to be.

9. Were you ever suspended or expelled? naah. too much of a goody-goody. i did, however, get a note in my permanent file because the private school i attended wanted me to sign an agreement that i would not dance, nor attend dances during the school year. i wouldn't sign it. it's not that i was such a rebel, just that i liked dancing, and personally didn't see anything against it, and since the church who sponsored the school did see something wrong with it, well...you can see where the two worlds collided. (Jolene - ask me sometime to tell you about all the LDS youth dances i would go to...and all the Samoan guys who were the only ones that asked me to dance.)

10. Can you sing the fight song? sure. 'we never stumble, we never fall, we sober up on wood alcohol..' wait. wrong song.
hail, Christian warriors, this banner we bear; following the Saviour here and every where; marching with colors, the green and the white; hail, Christian warriors with thy Saviour, the Light.

11. Who was your favorite teacher? Mrs. Gaede - my English teacher. she was the first one who told me that yes, i had some talent for writing.
boy did i fool her.

12. What was your school mascot? a Roman warrior. which even back then i thought was a little weird, considering the Romans were also part of the crucifixion of Christ.

13. Did you go to the Prom? just my junior/senior in my junior year. about four of us girls went as a group. this only cements my belief that the reason so many people that graduate from Brethren high were chunky: we didn't dance. we only ate.

14. If you could go back, would you? only if i could go back to see the high school me and tell me that it really would be alright. that it didn't matter that David Hunter didn't love me. that David Johnson liked Susan Williams better than me. that it really would all work out - and better than i could dream.

15. What do you remember most about graduation? relief that it was over. and that my date & i split the cost of a rabbit from Knott's Berry Farm's petting zoo. yep. i graduated AND got a pet all in the same night. woo-hoo!

16. Where were you on Senior Skip Day? we didn't have one.

17. Did you have a job your senior year? nope. too desperate studying, praying i would graduate.

18. Where did you go most often for lunch? at school. i had no friends in my senior year after changing schools mid year, so i had no one to eat with.

19. Have you gained weight since then? yeah, but not much. chunky then, chunky now.

20. What did you do after graduation? rejoiced. then attempted college.

21. What year did you graduate? 1980. i got socks oldern' you.

22. Who was your Senior Prom Date? no senior prom for me.

23. Are you going/did you go to your 10 year reunion?nope. no reunions for me. i don't want to rehash my entire senior year trauma over and over and over...and i certainly don't want to hear about everyone's houses/kids/plastic surgery.
i'm bitter. and i like it.

Your turn!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check my blog for my answers some time later today!

Jaq

Jolene George said...

I went to so many church dances. I loved them.
You really had a difficult time in high school. Could no one see what a wonderful person you are? I wasn't a popular girl either and felt invisable much of the time.