Jan 28, 2006

in remembrance....


"High Flight"
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earthAnd danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirthOf sun-split clouds - and done a hundred thingsYou have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swungHigh in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,I've chased the shouting wind along, and flungMy eager craft through footless halls of air.Up, up the long, delirious, burning blueI've topped the wind-swept heights with easy graceWhere never lark, or even eagle flew -And, while with silent lifting mind I've trodThe high untrespassed sanctity of space,Put out my hand and touched the face of God.
John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

2 comments:

doodlebugmom said...

This quote is such a beautiful tribute to the Challanger crew.

(thanks thanks for giving credit where it is due)

Linda

Pam in Moncton said...

Yes indeed. I remember this so well as I had just come back from outside with my two little girls. Renee was just a few months old and I had been carrying her in the snuggli. Where we lived at that time the TV was just inside the living room, near the front door and I laid Renee down on the carpet to undress her and flipped on the TV only to see that now-so-well-known image of the separating vapor trails as the shuttle exploded. It's one of those "I'll always remember where I was" moments. Lovely tribute.
Pam