Sep 11, 2006

five years ago...

i was pulling into work, hearing that a plane had flown into the Twin Towers in NYC.

it didn't seem real.

it still doesn't.

it didn't seem real watching people jump out of the burning towers.

it still doesn't.

it was hard to believe, two days later, that my entire work location, would be standing outside our buildings, holding flags, tissues, holding back tears and holding each other.

someone said it all seemed surreal - we, the generations that grew up with special effects. it just didn't seem real.

it still doesn't.

but it was. the wound may not be as raw as it was then, but it still is a tender spot. it's still hard to watch. it's hard to believe it happened five years ago.

it never will seem real.

i pray you were not personally affected by the events of the day. i remember the words "those that forget the past are destined to repeat it."

may that never happen again. peace.

4 comments:

doodlebugmom said...

Amen, my friend, Amen.

Doug Bagley said...

Sobering.

Doug Bagley said...

What a sad time for our Nation.

Melissa said...

I started crying early in the day, watching the TODAY show.

I didn't want to remember how I felt then, but I did anyway.

I still don't know how to explain it to my daughter, with whom I was 8 1/2 months pregnant at the time.