Mar 23, 2006

i LOVE being a girl...

especially with cars.

so another 10 hour day at work. the Big Boss kicked me out @ 5pm, so i could get some rest.

and the car wouldn't start.

rassinfrassinshmuckinfreakinbrassin...

well, let me qualify: it would start, just not stay on. engine died every time.

so i did like i always do: called Auto Club to come tow me. luckily my mechanic is about 1/2 a mile from my job. and, as always, Auto Club gave me a window for them to arrive..almost 50 (yes, five-zero) minutes.

at the 50 minute mark, Auto Club called me to let me know they were running a little behind...the tow guy was having problems getting a baby out of a locked car.

holy frejoles!

suddenly my problem pales in comparison.

then, cynic that i am, it occurred to me.

what if there is no baby in a locked car?? what if, the guy was on a dinner break & it took longer than he expected?

like i said...cynicism, thy name is me.

Tow Guy shows up, i 'splain what happened, and he has me pop the hood. checks the battery cables & all around that area, then asks me to start the car.

the car starts. the freaking car stays running. Tow Guy puts car in reverse...freaking car stays running. TG puts it back in drive..say it with me, kids: freaking car stays running.

OK. i am a 43 year old sometimes grown up. i work, i pay my bills, i cook, i do all the stuff adults are supposed to do. but nothing makes a chick feel more like a complete, useless dork than car things. especially when the car, in the presence of a man who is knowledgeable on mechanics, decides to act properly.

freaking car. bloody hell.

so - off i went to Target. car started right up i finished shopping.

it'll be interesting tomorrow to see how it goes.

we girls can do anything, right, Barbie?

except not feel like a dork when the car that an hour ago wouldn't stay running, now runs like a colt in a pasture.

i'll bet even Barbie would feel stupid in front of Ken.

1 comment:

doodlebugmom said...

When I was in college I had this old ckunker of a car with a bad starter. A guy showed me how to pop the hood and make a connection with a screwdriver. Guys were so impressed by me in the parking lot!


Linda :o)